At First Tee – Greater Tyler, we’re Building Game Changers by empowering kids and teens to be the best version of themselves. By seamlessly integrating the game of golf with character-building, we create programs that help kids uncover their inner strength, self-confidence, and resilience that they can carry to everything they do. Our trained coaches not only provide an introduction to junior golf and an opportunity to enhance golf skills, but they also create a safe, supportive, and empowering environment to help your child prepare for life ahead, including friendships, school, college, and even their careers. Our programs are held in Spring, Summer and Fall at Oakhurst Golf Course (Bullard), Cherokee Ranch Golf Club (Jacksonville) and Woldert Park (Tyler).
Through our programs, kids will learn skills that stay with them for life:
- Understanding and managing emotions
- Resolving conflicts
- Setting up step-by-step goals
- Planning for the future
- Appreciating individual differences
- Golf fundamentals and advanced techniques
Make Up and Weather Policy
First Tee – Greater Tyler guarantees at least 5 of the 6 classes registered for to be completed. This means that a class will not be made up until at least two classes are canceled.
In the event of inclement weather, some locations may decide to cancel classes. In the event a class is canceled, we will send an email and a text (if subscribed). There are some instances where the cancellation comes last minute as it is a course-by-course decision.
Dismissing Class Early
If we need to dismiss class early due to incoming weather, a coach from your child’s class will call or text you. Please make sure we have your preferred phone number on file.
Advancing through the Programs
At each age group, participants engage with the 5 Key Commitments: Pursuing Goals, Growing through Challenges, Collaborating with Others, Building a Positive Self, and Using Good Judgement, while focusing on mastering golf fundamentals and building upon a golf skill foundation as they advance within the program.
- Be active and have fun with peers in a safe and encouraging manner
- Build inner strength and self-confidence
- Learn to play golf
- Focus on building relationships with other players while exploring the game of golf
- Explore character concepts in active and collaborative ways that are valuable on and off the course
- Develop golf skills and enthusiasm for the game
- Support positive Game Changing behaviors in fun and meaningful ways
- Explore both golf skills and key commitments while having fun with peers
- Provide opportunities to demonstrate mastery and growth in golf skills and abilities
- Support the growth and development of early adolescents
- Build character and support personal development
- Develop additional golf skills and abilities
- Look toward their future and plan their own paths
- Evaluate, reflect, and apply their understanding of life and golf skills to new situations on and off the course PGA TOUR, LIV Golf – League